How to Land an Awesome Startup Job
Saturday, Sept 9th, 2017
Who am I?
High level steps
- Be valuable
- Be shameless
- Have a sense of what you want
- Find cool startups
- Acknowledge your ignorance
- Get in contact with said startups
Step 1: Be valuable
- Learn something at intersection of things you care about/are interested in, and things that are desired.
- Learn how to learn.
- Build off relevant previous achievements.
- This doesn't mean learn some obscure programming framework that is listed on a job posting!
Step 2: Be shameless (but have integrity!)
Disclaimer: I have read neither of these books, but they both have great titles.
Some possible steps
- Make a website that makes you seem impressive.
- Put your bio and projects on there.
- Start an organization at your school.
- Hack at MedHacks 2017! (you're already doing this)
Step 3: Have a sense of what you want
Do you want:
The generation that doesn't believe in either-or, but the generation that believes in both, the generation that will bring change. - Ben Jealous, MedHacks 2017
Step 4: Find cool startups
Find a startup hub:
- Baltimore, Philly, Seattle, etc also have a rising startup scene
Search for good companies. Use tools like:
Look at the portfolio of leading VC firms, such as:
- Sequoia Capital
Step 5: Acknowledge your ignorance
Use services that are incentivized to help you. For instance:
will literally pay you to join great startups if you follow these links.
- Once you have a list of companies, see if you can gain an introduction through personal networks.
- Make contact with top tier venture capital firms.
- If all else fails, email [email protected] Never apply online.
Step 7: Profit.
- Be forward with what you want.
- Know your value.
- This isn't a romantic relationship. You can talk to multiple companies.